A TEAM of doctors at Levy Mwanawasa University Teaching Hospital (LMUTH) in Lusaka have successfully removed two coins that was stuck in the throat of a four year old baby boy.

After the boy was sedated, an endoscope was inserted into his throat and the coins were picked up and removed.

LMUTH has seen an increase in the number of children seeking treatment at the hospital after failing to eat or drink anything due to swallowing of foreign objects such as coins.

Lately, the hospital had been treating such cases almost on a weekly basis. These foreign bodies on the throat or oesophagus can endanger a child’s life, therefore, parents and guardians are encouraged to take good care of their children by keeping dangerous items such as coins out of children’s reach.

(Credit: The Speech Analyst)

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here