ABOUT HOMOSEXUAL SNAKES: A CASE OF PF VERSUS UPND
By Sean Tembo – PeP President
1. Two topics have dominated the political landscape in Zambia in the past week: PF accusations that UPND in general and HH in particular are promoting homosexuality, and UPND accusations that by eating a snake during the Special Forces demonstrations in Mbala, President Lungu was practicing witchcraft and also mocking hungry Zambians that they should resort to eating snakes as an alternative! If you asked for my opinion on these narratives being peddled by both PF and UPND, l would say they are childish, coming from childish political parties that are led by childish leaders respectively.
2. There is no debate that the PF is dominated by former MMD members including the one that is responsible for speaking on behalf of Government; the Chief Government Spokesperson, as well as the one that is responsible for speaking on behalf of the party; the Media Director. It is also indisputable that one of the MMD’s strategies to undermine Sata at the height of the PF-MMD rivalry in 2011, was to mud slinging Sata that he was promoting homosexuality and would introduce gay rights once elected President. Actually, the then ruling MMD had a dedicated program on ZNBC to peddle such innuendos against Sata. Whether that ploy worked or not, we cannot know for sure unless we had carried out a baseline survey before and an endline survey after, but suffice to say that MMD and RB were subsequently booted out and Sata came in.
3. Therefore, given the fact that today’s PF is heavily dominated by former MMD members, it is no wonder that they are shamelessly trying to peddle the same innuendo against the opposition UPND and HH. However, in my view the antics of 2011 are still too vivid to most voters today and are not likely to work. In fact, in my view, the PF appear foolish in the eyes of right thinking members of society by peddling such cheap gay rights propaganda against HH and UPND. Surprisingly, someone even convinced President Lungu to issue and official statement that him and his Government are against homosexuality and gay rights in Zambia!
4. Coming from a President who has not yet provided satisfactory answers on the owner of the mysterious 48 houses, who hasn’t provided satisfactory answers on why his Government never put in measures to import power from neighboring countries the moment the drought became apparent in January, a President who has spent almost $100 million dollars on a private jet while peasant farmers who sold maize to FRA for the 2017/2018 farming season have still not yet been paid in full up to now, a President who is resisting to declare the drought situation a national disaster so as to allow external support and assistance to affected arrears just because he wants the people in the affected areas to feel indebted to him and his party as the sole providers of relief food so that he can gain political mileage for 2021, it is extremely laughable that he would be wasting his breath and also State House stationary trying to talk about meaningless gay accusations. For your information Mr. President, more than 90% of Zambians don’t understand, let alone care about what gay rights are, but they understand what hunger is. So if you want to address a topic which is relevant to the people of Zambia, focus on the hunger situation and not gay rights.
5. But as if not to be outdone in being irrelevant to the needs and aspirations of the Zambian people, the UPND so-called Chairman for Agriculture (although one even wonders what understanding of agriculture the man has to be awarded such a coveted position, given that he spends most of his time on social-media and not at any known farm) issued a statement in which he basically accused President Lungu of mocking Zambians to eat snakes as an alternative solution to the hunger situation, and someone else also accused him of engaging in witchcraft by eating a snake during a Special Forces training in Mbala recently.
6. Well, most times l find it quite sickening when l look at the low levels to which our politicking has fallen. On the other hand, this naive allegation by UPND shows the extent to which they do not understand statecraft and are not ready nor competent to govern this great nation called Zambia. A President is a Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces. That is not a ceremonial title, it is a practical title which requires one’s demonstration that he/she is equal to the task of being Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces. It is also a well documented fact that our servicemen and women go through a lot of hardships just to keep us the citizens safe from all enemies; foreign and domestic. In order for our armed forces to undertake and discharge their duties in a diligent manner, they have to undergo rigorous training and such training inevitably includes survival skills.
7. During the demonstration of battle-readiness in Mbala, it was necessary for our troops to show the nation that they could survive anywhere and eat anything available even what might be apparently poisonous to a common man. And so the men in uniform decided to devise the demonstration of catching, slaughtering and eating a snake. Suffice to mention that on the battlefield that is not an option, it is a necessity or you’ll simply die of hunger! And given that his troops could eat a snake as a survival skill, it was necessary for President Lungu to equally partake of the snake so as to demonstrate that he was their Commander not in word only by also in deeds. That is how you earn respect from your men. They need to see that you’re capable of what they can do. Perhaps Mr Levy Ngoma should tell us what HH would’ve done in similar circumstances, had be been president of Zambia? Decline the piece of snake and order some lemon & herb Nandos chicken instead? Then he would definitely make a very weak president who would not command respect from the men and women in uniform. Suffice to mention that a weak President is not a suitable President for Zambia.
8. Overall, what a week!! A week full of homosexual innuendos and snake innuendos. Which makes me wonder; do homosexual snakes exist?